a palace skirt

The latest instalment in my quest to “fun up” Cassie’s work wardrobe…IMG_8989

I dub thee the Palace skirt.  Fabric a soft, heavy, slightly stretch sateen from Fabulous Fabrics.  Of course.  Pattern; Vogue 8363, my other favourite skirt pattern.  Those discreet, yet deep, slanted pockets; so chic and so useful!

I had to buy quite a bit of the fabric in order to get the full printed panel and so as to have it centred on the skirt both front and back, and I only just managed to get the pieces out!  Meaning, there was more wastage than I can normally tolerate… oh well, them’s the breaks when you choose an obvious large-scale print like this!  The only downside.. notoriously fabric-hungry.    🙁  I only have the most awkwardly shaped scraps left.  Oh well, it was worth it.  I absolutely adore the print and am so damn happy with this skirt, I think it looks just gorgeous on her.  I want one too!!

DSC_2625 2

So I’m sending my daughter out into the world with naked men printed on her clothing…  It’s art, ok?

DSC_2640And also, don’t you just hate it when people boast smugly about their perfect pattern matching?
*proceeds to boast smugly about my perfect pattern matching*

Actually, the print placement at the back gave me serious pause, and I’m talking specifically about that door there, ahem.  I didn’t want to have the print off, I really wanted all of that magnificent palace room to be there on the skirt as beautifully as it appears on the fabric and just could’t see any way around the door, or any way of eliminating it either, but it just had to be there, right boom in the centre back of the skirt.  The best way I could think of doing it was just to have it there, no apologies,and to make sure the print matched up as well as I could.

Pale silver-grey invisible zip from Fabulous Fabrics as well, all raw edges inside are overlocked inside to finish, and I finished all the edges before sewing the seams, so as to get maximum lee-way in matching up the print on the side seams as well.  I managed to cut the pockets from the self fabric, only one had to be pieced at the bottom due to the difficulty in cutting out around that print satisfactorily.  The pocket lining, pictured above, is silver-grey polyacetate lining fabric, scraps from le Stash.

The final verdict from the recipient…?  “I can’t wait to wear it to work on Monday!”

Details:

Skirt; Vogue 8363, stretch sateen, my original review of this pattern here
Tshirt; Cotton onDSC_2655 2

50 Thoughts on “a palace skirt

1. awesome skirt! i think everyone needs to own a garment with naked muscular men printed on it!

2. Cassie’s work wardrobe is looking pretty amazing. Love the pockets on the skirt and that great fabric.

3. The fabric is great! Your daughter looks great wearing it.

4. Wow! That fabric print is fabulous! What a beautiful skirt! Well done on that pattern matching!

5. What a wonderful skirt!

6. Amazing. I want it and the last skirt you made.

7. I love your sense of humour! I would pay to read your blog, both for the sewing content and the humour.
    That pattern matching in the back is definitely to be boasted about!
    Everything you make is perfection.

8. Brenda on 16/01/2016 at 11:57 pm said:

Beautiful!
    Ditto what Kyle said!

9. Shams on 17/01/2016 at 1:07 am said:

That is great! How fun!

10. As I’ve said before, she’s one lucky gal. You can be smug about the perfect print matching. I thought it before you said it – perfect print matching!

I am curious what type your dress form is. Can you share? I am thinking of investing in one this year. I know we live in continents far away but it would be good to know what you looked for when you got one. Thanks!

• Carolyn on 19/01/2016 at 1:18 pm said:

thank you Melissa!
      The ivory dress form pictured here is Cassie’s; I bought it for her online and blogged about the experience
      in this post
      It was a lot easier than I thought; I’m sure there are places in your country that will post to you if you can’t find a local, brick-and-mortar shop nearby that you can physically go to and buy one on the spot 🙂
      The latter is how we got my other (black) dress form; she is mine, and was made here in Perth by a local man now long since retired and his business was unfortunately closed up *sob*

11. This is a great skirt pattern but the fabric elevates it to another level! Just gorgeous!

12. Wendy on 17/01/2016 at 2:47 am said:

You could applique motifs from the remnants onto solid fabric to make that skirt for yourself…fun and creative too!

13. Oh, how beautiful! There may come a time Cassie doesn’t wear it quite as often as there are other skirts in her wardrobe. This one should be wrapped up and preserved, it is that stunning.

14. I can understand why Cassie can’t wait to wear this skirt. The fit is perfection and that fabric is to die for. I hadn’t noticed the door on the back, so suspect that no-one else will. Your pattern matching is sublime!

15. Oh, this is just perfect in every way. You have used this fabric very well and the skirt is absolutely beautiful.

16. That is some serious pattern matching. I made a replica of my fave RTW blouse this week and learnt lots about pin tucks. Jo x

17. Belinda Stafford on 17/01/2016 at 8:47 am said:

Stunning stunning skirt. Deeply envious of your fabric choice: I want one too. Mmmmmm

18. What a beautiful print. Love it!

19. Wow! Just Wow! I’d say you are knocking it out of the park with the fun factor for your daughter! Gorgeous! 🙂

20. This skirt is just so cool! I do hate wasting fabric for the sake of pattern matching, but here it was totally worth it!

21. Amanda S. on 17/01/2016 at 11:50 am said:

Um, I want one too! Seriously, I need to look for some architectural prints. They make lovely skirts. Does she work in architecture or construction?

22. Stupendous! Perfect combination!

23. Well, they’re not totally naked! 😉 I am so impressed with your back seam and your architecture-collection! Reminds me of those concepts albums only that you sew stories instead of telling them! 🙂

24. Great skirt. masterful print matching! If I worked in Cassie’s office, I would plan a trip past her desk just to see what fun unique outfit she was wearing that day.

25. amazing fabric ! and great pattern with pockets !

26. Fabulous! Pattern matching like that should be proudly proclaimed! Gorgeous print.

27. Amy on 18/01/2016 at 1:03 am said:

Just lovely!! I didn’t notice the door at first, in the back – my first impression was how beautifully your placement of the arched ceilings worked with your daughter’s figure. Excellent pattern matching too.

28. Heather on 18/01/2016 at 2:36 am said:

Love it! And it looks gorgeous on your daughter!

29. sankati on 18/01/2016 at 5:52 am said:

Lucky daughter. The bold pattern match on the back was exactly the way to go. The skirt’s a triumph. You’re on a roll, don’t stop now!

For occasions where even a pretty tee shirt like this won’t do, what would you think of a fabulous crop top? Something like this, though a touch longer, to make it office-worthy. In a blue, gray or black.

What fun it is to dress a daughter!

30. This skirt deserves to be in an art gallery!! Absolutely gorgeous! I want one too. Amazing Carolyn….amazing.

31. Just wow! This skirt is amazing. You’ve done a masterful job with that beautiful bold print. Cassie is lucky to have you for a mother.

32. You’ve got a right to smug about the pattern matching – it’s perfection. I saw a recent comment you made about not having great fabric stores in Perth. I want a Fabulous Fabrics! I have an unhealth dose of fabric envy tonight.

• Carolyn on 19/01/2016 at 1:03 pm said:

thanks Gail! I don’t think I ever said we don’t have great fabric stores here; after all I’m in Fabulous Fabrics all the time and feel so lucky to have it nearby! I do however wish that we had a few more options and particularly more choice in better quality “ordinary” fabrics and for leather, like you over in the east have with the Fabric Store. Whenever I’m fortunate enough to go over there I spend up big in that place 🙂

33. Juliet on 19/01/2016 at 5:06 pm said:

You have the best sewing blog, I love reading it. Every now and again I do a search of others similar type blogs to read as well but….nah…they are generally pretty boring so think I will stay with yours. I was inspired to make Vogue 1247 in plaid for my daughter – matching the uneven plaid took it out of me so no lovely hong kong bindings though. maybe next time.

• Carolyn on 21/01/2016 at 2:56 pm said:

aw thank you so very much Juliet, that is so sweet of you to say that 🙂 and yes, trying to match an uneven plaid can turn a cute skirt project that seemed like a really fun idea at the time into a bear!

34. Lovely! And perfect pattern matching. I can see why your daughter would want to wear it to work.

35. Another fun and sophisticated garment for Cassie. Love it!

36. Mem on 20/01/2016 at 2:38 pm said:

Love it , I can see what you mean about the door butt thats half the fun. Perhaps you could use some of the scraps to applique onto a T shirt . Those large images are s interesting .

37. Hehe, your pattern matching skills are unparalleled! I kinda feel like there is a theme in Cassie’s clothing. I’ve no idea if you’ve mentioned it but does she work in architecture? That would be very appropriate. 🙂

38. Stunning skirt and Cassie’s desk would be the first one I would walk past each day.

Your pattern matching is amazing and that makes that door disappear, it is supposed to be there.

39. Claire Ross on 29/01/2016 at 10:24 pm said:

Wow, absolutely love this and the pattern matching is to die for xx

40. What a great skirt and fab fabric! Perfect for a museum tour! 🙂