I’ve made a couple of pairs of thongs! They’re pretty basic; I was just kind of mucking about. Each pair took me just a few hours each. Anyway, I actually made them back in December, immediately thought oh god how ridiculous and tossed them in my cupboard, where they’ve been knocking about unworn ever since. I had a second look at them a few days ago and decided they were not irredeemably terrible. Anyway, I’ve just decided to wear them, imperfections and all…
See, I’m working on a plan… Long-term readers might recall, inspired by Natalie Purschwitz’s the makeshift project; 2013 was my year of going all, 100%handmade.
I wore only my own self-made clothing, including all underwear, tights and socks for the year. And did it successfully; although in reality it was actually only nearly 100% since I didn’t count shoes. I hadn’t made any shoes at that stage. I was pleased that I’d succeeded for the clothes side of things, but always had in the back of my mind that it would be good to have a truly 100% me-made year, including shoes.
Anyway, I’m wondering if I should just start right now since the last five days I’ve been wearing 100% self-made including my own self-made shoes and feel pretty good about it so far. Maybe I should just go for it now. Try for a year; right here. Stop procrastinating. I have five pairs of me-made shoes now; my three pairs of slides/clogs and now these two pairs of thongs; enough to get started with at the very least!
Writing a little laundry list of shoe needs for myself… my bare minimum essentials would be :
- a couple of pairs of thongs…. DONE
- medium heeled casual summer sandals… DONE
- smart dressy heels, for both winter and summer… could do
- winter slippers.. could do
- medium heeled winter shoes… not impossible
- low-heeled winter boots… um, pretty difficult
- walking shoes for inclement and/or cold weather… woah. Brain frizzling….
Hmmm. Need to do more thought….
for the black pair; I traced the bases on an old yoga mat that had seen better days, and used scraps from an old, black cotton corduroy shirt to cover the bases and for the straps.
The black straps simply have the long edges folded in and I zig-zagged down the centre to finish them… each strap is 25cm long, although I found it a little easier to manage when I cut them a bit longer when making the white pair. I made a little “tube” to go between my big toe and the other toes, through which the straps go before piercing the base. Underneath the base, the straps are stitched to pieces of fabric to secure them firmly, then these are glued to the underneath of the base. The base is covered in fabric, which is glued in place both top and bottom.
Underneath the base, I glued a layer of tough rubber floor matting, which is a very tough sturdy base, very hardwearing, which will hopefully keep the thongs going and last me for this summer, even *crosses fingers* next summer too!
For the white pair; I had some thin, worn-down bases from an old pair of thongs that the straps had broken through, and I’d kept the bases just in case #hoardingfinallypaysoff I glued on a piece of thick, cream cotton corduroy underneath the thongs to strengthen the worn through bits. The straps are strips of the same corduroy, sewed together to other scraps of fabric underneath the bottom to secure them, same method as for the black pair above; then I glued a piece of thin cork matting underneath the whole shebang for a new sole. I chose cork for the white pair even though the rubber makes a better sole, because I thought the black rubber would be visually unattractive with these ones.
rubber sole, cork sole