Hello! I’ve made some more shoes! floral sneakers.
Now, I have to admit; they may look kinda superficially cute at a distance, however close up they’re a bit of a fail. I’m considering them a wearable fail though, since they’re all stuck together firm and good, glued up to the hilt and are not going to fall apart in a hurry! So all is not lost and I will wear them for casual knockabout events when it doesn’t matter if your footwear gets dirty or ruined. We all have those events in our lives, right? I’m sure plenty are going to crop up in my Year of Handmade.
I have learnt a lot making these… primarily the optimum order in which one should put together a pair of sneakers…. but first things first…
Fabric; a small leftover scrap of floral upholstery fabric, maybe barkcloth, from my grandmother’s stash, given to me after she passed away. It’s pretty cute fabric though, and I have just enough left to cut out the pieces for another pair of sneakers should I desire to revisit this exact same look. Which I probably shall. Bias binding for the edges and for the strip around the base of the sneakers is unbleached calico.
Design; drafted by me, copying a pair of sneakers I have already. I thought I’d got the design not too far off, but will make some adjustments for the next pair. I’m not even bothering to put laces in these ones. They stay on my feet fine without laces so I can still wear them. I’ll save my bias cut spaghetti strap laces for when I make a good pair 🙂
Details; the bases are cut from an old yoga mat, and my first step was to glue those strips of calico along the side edges… this was my big BIG mistake. I would NOT fabric coat the bases so early next time, it made it hellishly difficult when it came time to glue to uppers to the base. Also, the bases turned out to be a little too big for the uppers and the fact I’d “finished” them meant they could not be trimmed down.
Sewed together the uppers, all fine… sewed them to the lining pieces right sides together, turned them right sides out and glued it to the bases. Next time I would sew them together, wrong side of upper to right side of lining and turn the edges under before glueing to the base… I think that could be a better thing. Then, and only then! add the finishing strip to the outside edge of the sneakers. The last step is to add the soles. I used thin cork, cut from an old set of placemats.
Well, we certainly live and learn! All in all, it was a bit of a mess, but I pushed on and finished them because I wanted to see how the fit and design would turn out. I’m actually very happy with the fit, and the design is in my opinion 90% there, I will just make a few minor adjustments for the next pair.
At least I have a pair of don’t-care sneakers that are wearable and not too precious to get out and about in.