scarlet Miette

P1130024

My newest knitted creation is a cardigan; in a toasty, tomato-y, fiery, hot-chilli scarlet.  Photographed most attractively against the snowy drifts of Hokkaido in Japan where it looks rather stunning, I think!  I should come to Japan more often, so photogenic for photography.  I’ve styled it tres fashion-y with my KMart snow boots, bought circa 2001, and my hired ski pants.  O yea, rockin it fashioneestas!

Sorry to be repeating myself, but yes it is yet another Miette, a free downloadable pattern by Andi Satterlund… my fourth!  Knitted up in Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed Aran, again!… and this wool is so divine I just can’t stand it eeeeeeeee!  The last time I was in Calico and Ivy I couldn’t help going over and fondling the new colours, and it took every bit of self restraint I possessed, which is a pretty pathetic supply in the first place I must admit, NOT to buy another new colour for yet another little cardigan.   Honestly, I could easily have something in every colour way.   Just adore each and every one, and can’t help thinking they’ll seem to be so very very me!   This colour way is 360033, Scarlet.

IMG_9239

The buttons are also from Calico and Ivy, and I sewed them on upside down, because the upper side was a little shiny for my taste.  The underside has the perfect level of non-shiny matte-ness to suit the slightly lumpy, comfortable, homely look that this yarn has.

P1130021

Everything else I’m wearing here is made by me, including as hinted on instagram, all the underthingies 🙂  In fact, my skiing holiday is an almost exclusively handmade affair… I knew I was taking a bit of a risk in packing nearly all me-made clothes, and most fortunately it has all worked out quite successfully, if I say so myself.  The one non me-made thing I packed was a ski jacket.  Actually, I’ve been having some thoughts on snow gear and how I reckon a person can make it fit into a handmade ethos…  I think it is entirely possible! not that I’m an expert, haha.  No West Australian can actually ever lay claim to knowing the ins and outs of snow gear, really!  In spite of my snow-noobiness, I’m thinking of writing my thoughts here on the ol’ bloggeroonie soon…

Some knitterly notes mostly for my own alteration purposes…

3 1/4mm needles, size 42, 6 balls of the Donegal Luxury Tweed Aran.  Switched the bust dart shaping to the underarm using the same little fix as described here for my previous, navy-blue Miette.  Added two pattern repeats to the bottom edge; same as I have done for every one of my four versions of this same pattern.  I just like that little bit of extra length, I think this suits me and my figure better than the original design, which is very cropped.  This means picking up 78 stitches along each front edge.  And 9 buttons too, natch.

IMG_9237

Booyeah! done!

Details:

Cardigan; Miette, in Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed Aran, colour scarlet 360033
Striped Tshirt; self-drafted, grey and ivory striped cotton jersey, details here
Cowl; own pattern, mustard 8ply merino, details and my pattern for this cowl is here
Armwarmers; own pattern, green 4ply 100% merino, details here and my pattern here
Gloves; from a 1963 Patons pamphlet, charcoal 4ply 100% merino, details here
Beanie; own pattern, cream Patons pure new wool, details here

also wearing socks and leggings made by me
Ski pants; hired
Snow boots; Kmart, circa 2001

P1130026

33 Thoughts on “scarlet Miette

1. liochka on 01/02/2016 at 7:20 pm said:

I love it !!! You are beautiful in color !!!

2. Jen N on 01/02/2016 at 7:35 pm said:

Hi! I’m another seamstress and knitter in Perth, and I love your Cardigan 🙂 I also have the dubious honour of having worked and sold snow gear at the only snowsports shop in Perth for the last six years. I could provide some technical insights into the ins and outs of fibres and insulations etc if you want at any point when you get back from your trip. Since I started sewing whilst I’ve been selling this gear I have accrued a significantly greater understanding of what a jacket like this requires and I too have been thinking about making one for a few years 🙂 in the meantime you look like you’re enjoying that Japan powder heaps!
    I hope the rest of your trip is great 🙂

• Oh Jen N, you have got my attention, my DH is from WA (living in Sydney) and is a keen mad skier, in Japan for 8 weeks this year and I would love to know the ins and outs so I can make myself a jacket would suit my colouring so much better.

• Thanks so much Jen! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! I’ve had a good poke and prod at my snow gear and I think it could be homemade quite easily with good materials. My hired gear has a nylon outer, like a thick waterproof goretex (educated guess there), nylon lining, not dissimilar to the thickish lining fabric sold at spotlight, and polyester insulation. I’m sure the insulation and nylon outer fabric along with plastic zips are available through US online outerwear fabric stores.

• Jen N on 02/02/2016 at 8:31 pm said:

Hi ladies!
        It will definitely be do-able, but there are a few things that would make your jacket 100% more snow friendly (and snow proof!). I would be carefully considering where you put your layers of insulation eg heavier layers of a product such as primaloft on the chest and back, less under the arms and down the sides, and about 80% on the sleeves. On that note I’d also think about putting “pit zips” in the arm pits of your jacket for ventilation too, so you don’t overheat!
        The face fabric should definitely be a nylon, natural fibres will decay and rot when damp that length of time, so a nylon twill fabric would be strong and will last. To make your jacket snow proof though you’ll need to get a fabric with a membrane attached (this is a common misconception people have, goretex is a membrane adhered to a fabric, not a fabric in and of itself. Goretex is just a well known brand of laminate, definitely not the only option. In its raw form it looks like glad wrap). For ease of sewing I would definitely order a pre treated fabric that can be simply sewn up. Depending on what type of waterproofing is on the fabric you’ll be able to seal the seams yourself with products like silnet or seam grip, but you have to get the right one for the membrane! It can be painted onto the seams on the inside (so your jacket still looks pretty) but it will stop the seams from leaking and leaving you soggy with snow melt!

There are lots of other suggestions I could make about closures etc but I don’t want to clog up your comments Carolyn! My email is Nicholson.jenni@gmail.com I’m happy to chat to either of you more in depth if you’d like 🙂

Happy sewing!
        Jen

• Carolyn on 07/02/2016 at 1:37 pm said:

thanks so much for that information Jen! yes, I personally would definitely go with a pre-treated fabric! That’s excellent advice about looking for lighter insulation for the sleeves too, Insulation supplies are probably the top of my list when it comes to learning what to use… I’ve had experience waterproofing my seams with seam grip when I made my raincoat, so that’s all good.
          thank you so much for your expertise!

3. Lovely sweater! And somehow, I never realized that the Miette is a free pattern. I’ll have to give it a go sometime!

I’m a little on the fence about the idea of sewing snow gear. I’ve attempted to make my own rain gear for backpacking, and the relatively inexpensive jacket and pants that I replaced those with turned out sooooooo much better, both in terms of weight and in keeping me dry. I’m sure it’s doable, but I guess I just didn’t have the right materials?

• I think you’re right, it’s all in the materials. I made my own raincoat too and it’s been terrific, fortunately I found great fabric in a local store. Absolutely waterproof fabric is the most essential component to hunt for!

4. Masha on 01/02/2016 at 7:51 pm said:

It’s beautiful, and i love it with that cowl. Flame-y colors are my favorite.

5. What a gorgeous little sweater. You inspire me like no other with your knitting. One day I will return to my sweater and finish it!

6. What a terrific holiday, Carolyn! Did you see the snow monkeys?

I love the squishy tweediness of your new cardi. Miette is s good one – I’ve made four as well 🙂

7. This is cool outfit! Love your miette and the colour is great 🙂 Nice pictures.

8. Martha Ann Murray on 01/02/2016 at 10:43 pm said:

I downloaded that pattern, followed the great directions exactly and ended up with a total wipeout! I could hardly get my arms in the sleeves, much less make the fronts meet! I am not a big person, usually wear a small or petite in tops – I don’t remember what size needles I used – probably what the pattern recommended, the yarn was the recommended size and weight – can’t imagine what happened! Interesting that you used a 3.25 needle too. Maybe I’ll give it another whirl but that yarn is sitting there laughing at me! I really love the look of Miette and really, really want one!

• Oh no! I have to say my first one I started out with a smaller size and then had to unravel and size up in both the cardigan size and larger gauge needles too when I could see it was going to be too small… I would normally be a Eur 38 and knit a 42 in this pattern. wrt my needle size, I routinely have to use a much smaller needle than recommended, seems I’m an extremely loose and sloppy knitter or something! I reckon though it’s worth the trouble of sizing up and even trying to knit a “looser” tension to get a larger cardigan… I hope you get to wear your lovely wool!

9. Love your holiday pictures!!! You are beautiful with a snowy backdrop! 🙂

10. I love your new miette, the tweed yarn and colour. It looks so good with your loop- and you 🙂 Maybe I should give that pattern a try, too 🙂
    Have lovely holidays, SaSa

11. You are looking fab in your handmades! I love the miette and yours in particular. One day I will knit it.

Enjoy the rest of your snowy holiday!

12. Gorgeous colour AND the way you finished the button holes and buttons. Adorable sweater!

13. Your miette cardi is so very pretty, and the colour is striking! I cannot knit but admire the creations of ladies who do.

14. I love this on you, the color is gorgeous on you.

15. So funny, from bikini to miette in an instant. I love my Miette and wear it a great deal, in fact I am going to wear it tomorrow now that I have seen yours. I like the bust darts but I only put 3 buttons on the top of mine but it is crying out for the full set really. Love both projects as ever. Jo x

16. I agree – I love all the colors!

17. Love the color & texture! And the setting is beautiful, although I may prefer your lovely beaches since I’m not much for cold, frozen water. 😉

18. Love the colour of your new Miette and the texture is wonderful.

Wow they have some snow in Hokkaido not sure if hubby is seeing that much in Inawashiro! I’m hoping to make a merino thermal top this month for the trip to Canada.

19. Beautiful color. Looks like the perfect hot fiery red cardigan for all that snow….brrr. Gorgeous!

20. Gorgeous colour cardigan, and a design that deserves to be repeated as you look so good in it!
    Enjoy your holiday

21. You look wonderful! In your new cardigan and your rented ski pants. A-ma-zing! Love the photos, not a lot of snow or cold weather around here lately. Your cardigan, perfect!

22. Uhhh, that really is a lovely color. I’m still looking for that exact yarn in Grey or Black with those colored tweed-spots in it. But I also really like the red! I’m looking forward to your ski sewing post and hope you had (are having) a great holiday!

23. That is a really pretty colour and with your very cold background does look warm and cozy.

24. It’s a lovely sweater the color is so nice and very pretty pictures.

25. Looking fabulous, such a lovely colour! And the snow is indeed the perfect backdrop. 🙂 I’m looking forward to your thoughts about snow-wear.